A few months ago, I designed the new bags for the Whittemore House. This is a view of the proof, I guess the whole shipment is due any day…..We used the logo I created for them, as well as my “Bird Man”…a departure for the first bags I designed there. I’ll have to post them both, especially as the old ones are going fast, and being ‘collected’ by patrons…..
A piece that a client recently purchased, awaiting delivery. This is a Photogram of an antique bottle I found in the woods behind my old house, in it is a ‘moth’. it is a silver print ( made in darkroom )…I put it in a destroyed old frame years ago. The oval is underneath the glass, and the whole thing has a ghostlike presence. I’ve had clients bugging me for it for some years, finally gave in to one with a collection it would be happy in…
In Westchester, some unusual walls in a study. The designer Martin Heinz wanted to get an old, decayed leather effect, so I layered and layered using a few different techniques. Even forcing cracks in selected areas- reminiscent of the type of cracking that occurs in worn leather. After producing a few variations of a ‘leather brown’ ( each layer was a variation on the colours) -I finally drybrushed the by now raised areas, to complete the look, which is very warm and inviting.
A lobby I am doing, in progress. Upper West Side, Manhattan. This is a huge lobby, here shown only a piece. I am doing all the panels, raised moldings, walls, railings, etc etc…..many of my students ( and even assistants) can do a finish in something the size of one panel….then are paralyzed to think of any more than that…. it is totally different thing altogether to try a large ( or in this case, massive) area, with inlays, mouldings, crowns, etc etc. To keep it perfect and clean…and remember that this is a public area …and the walls are quite high, the work so extensive….
An old project…had the full crew at work on this. Pictus made a gigantic painted sisal floor ( this was three sisal rugs sewn together!) and the patterns were abstracted from ancient vestments, etc. The piece was so big we couldn’t fit it in the clients’ Ballroom! Part was always ‘up the wall’…or folded….
A surprise, yesterday. This project I did with the A.D.100 great Samuel Botero, for the legendary restauranteur Ormando Orsini….We did the walls in a swirl of orange-reds, and Sam’s original concept was to spray paint words around the place. Ormando was against the use of graffiti-like forms, so I suggested perhaps pieces of poems….When they discovered I was a published poet,everyone felt confident that it would be the way to go. My team and I cut stencils of endless fonts, in various sizes, and fragments from Dante and Shakespeare to Leonard Cohen went all over the restaurant. Words even made it to the huge glass partition, and the custom fabric for the chairs. It was widely published, but I’d never seen these shots till now.